Tannie Maz's MAizena Koekies
- Preheat the oven to 175 ºC / 350 ºF.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add butter, sugar and vanilla into a bowl and mix until creamy.
- Add the egg and a pinch of salt and mix until well combined. The egg has to be fully incorporated into the butter.
- Add the Maizena and mix until combined. You should be able to shape the dough into a ball and it should be soft and flexible enough to be able to be used in a cookie press. The dough shouldn't stick to your hands. If the dough does stick don't panic. A little bit of stickiness isn't a problem, as long as you can shape the dough into a ball. If it is too sticky just add a little bit more Maizena till the dough stops sticking.
- The traditional way to make these cookie is by shaping the dough into little balls which you put on your baking sheet and flatten with a fork dipped in Maizena. Keep dipping the fork into the as needed.
- Sprinkle all cookies with hundreds and thousands.
- Put the cookies into the oven and bake for approximately 12 minutes. Be careful not to brown them too much, the cookies need to have a light, white/golden colour.
Please note that the cup measurements in this recipe are approximate. I have added cups for those that prefer using cups. The recipe is most accurate using weights measurements.
- An easy way to transfer the hundreds and thousands to the cookies is to make the tip of your fingers slightly wet by dipping them into water. Dip your fingers into the hundreds and thousands and lightly press them onto the cookies.
- If you want to make a fully gluten free cookie, make sure to use gluten free hundreds and thousands. If you can't find gluten free sprinkles you can make the cookies without the sprinkles as decoration.